Notice of Privacy Practices
Great Lakes Caring privacy practices are designed to protect the privacy, use and disclosure of protected health information in accordance with the Federal requirements of the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations. The privacy practices of Great Lakes Caring are clearly delineated in the Notice of Privacy Practices which was developed and is used in accordance with Federal requirements.
To assure compliance with the regulations and to consistently inform clients of Great Lakes Caring’s policy and procedure in protecting their health information.
- The privacy practices of Great Lakes Caring are described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and are further explained in the Great Lakes Caring’s privacy policies and procedures.
- The Notice of Privacy Practices is given to all patients no later than the date of the first service delivery.
- The Notice of Privacy Practices is available to anyone who requests it.
- The Notice of Privacy Practices is revised as needed to reflect any changes in Great Lakes Caring’s privacy practices. Revisions to the Notice of Privacy Practices are not implemented prior to the effective date of the revised Notice.
- When revisions to the Notices of Privacy Practices are necessary, all current patients, employees, and business associates receive a revised copy with a notation of the changes made.
- The Privacy Officer retains copies of the original Notice of Privacy Practices and any subsequent revisions for a period of ten (10) years from the date of its creation or when it was last in effect, whichever is later.
- Documentation is retained for the (10) years of the patient’s written acknowledgment of the receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices or of efforts made to obtain this written acknowledgment and the reason(s) why it was not obtained.
- All employees and business associates of Great Lakes Caring are required to adhere to the privacy practices as detailed in the Notice of Privacy Practices, privacy policies and procedures and business associate contracts.
- Violations of the privacy practices will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment or contracts.
- The Notice of Privacy Practices is posted in a clear and prominent location at all offices. The Notice of Privacy Practices is prominently displayed and available electronically on the agency website here.