Disease Focused Care
Great Lakes Caring Hospice understands that patients suffering from end-stage diseases have specific needs that are unique to their illness. Our disease specific protocols and specialized care were developed to help patients, families and physicians manage disease-specific symptoms at the end of life.
Our disease focused care includes:
- Disease specific care paths with medication and non-medication interventions for common end-of-life symptoms
- Disease specific daily engagement action plans for patients and families to help manage symptoms in the home, know when to contact their hospice team, and keep patients out of the hospital unnecessarily
- Dementia Care Certified clinicians
Dementia Care Certified Staff
Great Lakes Caring Hospice has dementia care certified clinicians to provide specialized care to our dementia patients and their families.
After completing the dementia care education from the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI), our hospice staff are able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementia and their impact on cognitive function
- Utilize cognitive assessments and screening tools to identify best ability to function
- Identify care approaches for each dementia stage to promote the highest positive level of function in activities of daily living, mobility and leisure activity
- Understand and implement strategies to enhance communication, minimize negative behaviors, and support families and caregivers
Studies show that staff trained specifically in dementia care are able to provide better quality of life for patients, enriching their end-of-life journeys. To learn more, call us at 800.379.1600.